Five of the top fifty Labour achievements since 1997 – VIII
- Through the introduction of civil partnerships, Labour has for the first time given legal recognition to same-sex partners. Gay couples now have the same inheritance, pension and next-of-kin rights as married couples.
- More than doubled Britain’s overseas aid budget. UK aid helps lift an estimated three million people out of poverty every year.
- Cancelled up to 100% of debt for the world’s poorest countries.
- Britain now has more offshore wind capacity than any other country in the world. Wind last year provided enough electricity to power 2 million homes.
- Launched the £1.5 billion Housing Pledge to speed up the delivery of new affordable housing and embarked on the biggest programme of council house building for twenty years.